Through the International Maritime Organization (IMO), the Maritime Flag Administrations have established International Conventions containing regulations for safeguarding life and property at sea and preventing pollution of the natural environment.
A number of Flag Administrations around the world recognize and authorize MBS to carry out statutory surveys and issue certificates in accordance with International Conventions, Codes, as well as national requirements.
Some of the major conventions and codes are:
- International Convention on Load Lines
- International Convention for the
- Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS)
- International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL)
- Convention on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREG)
- International Convention on Tonnage Measurement of Ships (TONNAGE)
- Code of Safe Practice for Solid Bulk Cargoes (BC Code)
- International Management Code for the Safe Operation of Ships and for Pollution Prevention (ISM Code)
Continues compliance with specified requirements is supervised by MBS through periodical inspections and surveys and is confirmed with the issue of the appropriate certificate.